Skip to main content
Back to top

“Employment” is any work performed or services provided (including self-employment) in exchange for money or other benefit or compensation (including free food for working at an event). Unauthorized employment is considered a serious violation so please be knowledgeable about your F-1 employment eligibility options and always talk to International Student Affairs before starting any employment opportunity. Below are your options for employment on an F-1 visa.

The F-1 visa has strict regulations in regards to employment. Please contact if you have additional questions.

  • On-Campus

    Your F-1 visa allows you to work on campus for DigiPen, but there are several requirements that must be met, which we outline here.

  • Off-Campus

    Generally, F-1 visas do not authorize you to work off campus except in very limited circumstances. We’ve listed the requirements of these circumstances, and what you will need to provide for verification.

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

    Curricular Practical Training allows you to obtain a paid internship in your field of study. This temporary employment must be approved by your instructional department, but can also be applied as credit towards your degree.

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)

    Optional Practical Training gives you the opportunity to participate in hands-on work experience for up to 12 months (up to 24 months for certain degree programs). The employment can be performed in between semesters or after completion of a degree.

  • Apply for a Social Security Number

    Procedures to apply for a Social Security Number required for employment in the United States.