Required for: BA in Music and Sound Design applicants only
DigiPen's intent in reviewing applicants' performance portfolios is to ensure that students have appropriate foundational skills relative to the degree program to which they are applying. Applicants should have some background studies in music and some aptitude for music on their declared primary instrument.
Applicants to the Music and Sound Design degree program must submit a performance portfolio. This portfolio should contain two unedited video recordings of live musical performances in contrasting styles on the applicant’s primary instrument; and a maximum of four examples of musical involvement (see below.)
The performance portfolio must adhere to the following requirements:
- For the two (2) unedited video recordings of live musical performance in contrasting styles:
For evidence of musical involvement submit up to four examples of any of the following:
- Edited recordings will not be accepted
- Audio quality must be clear and free of noise
- For all instruments except voice, at least one of the performances must be unaccompanied.
- Both performances should be with the applicant's primary instrument, and the performer must be identifiable as the applicant.
- Each performance should be approximately two to five minutes in duration
- The recorded performances should demonstrate the applicant’s musicianship and performance ability, and should showcase the applicant’s expertise on the instrument.
- All styles of music are welcome, as long as the two pieces are in sufficiently contrasting styles, such as Baroque and Romantic, or Classical and Jazz.
- Scores and/or recordings of compositions, arrangements and/or performances
- Concert programs
- Reviews of musical performances, recitals, recordings, or other musical work
- Awards for musical competitions
- Video or audio recordings of musical performances
- Documentation of participation in performance ensembles, such as orchestras, bands, or other musical performance groups
- Video soundtracks (include video)
Guidelines for All Portfolio Submissions
- Submit the portfolio via Slideroom (https://digipen.slideroom.com). Slideroom requires a $10 fee to upload portfolios; however, this fee may be waived for students who demonstrate financial need through an SAT fee-waiver program or participation in a similar need-based program. Please note Slideroom can accept the following file types/sizes: Images (5MB max.) .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .tif, .tiff, .bmp, .tga, Videos (60MB max.) .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .wmv, .flv, .asf, .mpeg, .mpg, .mkv, Audio (30MB max.) .mp3, .wma, .ogg, .flac, and Documents (10MB max.) .pdf
- Label items with the date, title and composer, if a performance. Please note: DigiPen prefers that the performance submissions be less than three years old.