Required for: BFA in Digital Art and Animation applicants only.
Description: Applicants to the BFA in Digital Art and Animation degree are required to submit an art portfolio that showcases the applicant's best and most recent work. This portfolio must contain between 10-15 samples of artwork created by the applicant. If necessary, DigiPen may request more samples for review.
The portfolio should include:
- Prescribed Drawings from Direct Observation
Using graphite pencil or charcoal and on quality art paper, the applicant should draw the following four Prescribed Drawings from real life (not from images or photographs):
- Pair of shoes
- Same pair of shoes as above but from a different perspective (e.g. shoes drawn from the back) or a different orientation (e.g. shoes turned upside down)
- Interior space, such as a kitchen or bedroom
The primary objective of these four Prescribed Drawings is for the applicant to demonstrate foundational drawing skills. The applicant should focus on drawing realistically and accurately, and should NOT apply any artistic style (e.g. cartooning) to these four Prescribed Drawings.
On the corner of the page for each of these drawings, please write the date created and length of time spent on the drawing.
- Miscellaneous Art Samples
The remaining 6-11 pieces should demonstrate an applicant's current range, skill, and process. These personal works may include animations, figure/animal studies, color studies, original character designs, architectural renderings, landscape studies, sculptures, and paintings. The submitted work should not contain illustrations copied directly from manga, animé, animations, paintings, or photographs (cited master copies are acceptable).
Guidelines for All Portfolio Submissions
- Submit the portfolio via Slideroom. Slideroom requires a $10 fee to upload portfolios; however, this fee may be waived for students who demonstrate financial need through an SAT fee-waiver program or participation in a similar need-based program. Please note Slideroom can accept the following file types/sizes: Images (5MB max.) .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .tif, .tiff, .bmp, .tga, Videos (60MB max.) .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .wmv, .flv, .asf, .mpeg, .mpg, .mkv, and Documents (10MB max.) .pdf.
- Label all artwork with the date of completion and the medium used and indicate clearly which drawings are the four Prescribed Drawings from Direct Observation. Please note: DigiPen prefers that the artwork submitted be less than two years old.
- Images should be in focus and properly oriented for the subject.