DigiPen Institute of Technology welcomes students from different countries and cultures. Because of language and educational differences, DigiPen does require some additional information from international applicants in order to ensure a successful experience for students. International applicants are also asked to complete the application process early preferably well before July 1 to guarantee timely evaluation for their application and to allow time to process documents required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). DigiPen will continue to accept International applications after July 1, however applications completed after July 1 may not allow enough lead time for documentation processing.

Before Applying

Read through the information about additional requirements for international applicants to prepare the necessary documents and materials in a timely fashion.

Preparing Application Materials

In addition to the degree-specific requirements found under the undergraduate or graduate admission requirements, all international applicants must also provide the following in order to be considered for admission to DigiPen (see below for specific details):

  1. Proof of proficiency in the English language (if the applicant is a non-native English speaker)
  2. Statement of financial responsibility

*Please note: Undergraduate international student applicants are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores; graduate applicants must submit official GRE scores.

These items, along with the other application materials, should be prepared well in advance and allow plenty of time for mailing the documents to the U.S. campus. Scanned images, photocopies, or faxes are not replacements for original application materials and will not be accepted.

Information about Academic Records

Applicants must submit official academic records for DigiPen’s consideration. Documents are considered official if they are sealed by the issuing institution or if they are certified-true copies. Certified-true documents are generally issued by a school official such as a Registrar. These must be marked as "certified-true" or "attested" and signed by a school official on each page.

  • Applicants who are in their final year of secondary school or college should submit their most recent records with their application. Official records that confirm graduation will be required from all applicants prior to enrollment.
  • Applicants taking board examinations will need to submit exam results issued by the examination board. Exam results must be sealed in an envelope or certified-true by the testing board rather than the school.

If the documents are written in a language other than English, applicants must submit certified-true copies of both the originals and a literal translation. Please do not have grades converted or interpreted in any way.

For information on qualified translators, please contact the American Translators Association (www.atanet.org) or another recognized translation service (i.e., a certified translator, certified court interpreter, an authorized government official, or an official from the school where you obtained the degree). Proof of the translator's credentials must accompany each translation. Please note: Self-translated copies are not acceptable. All transcripts and diplomas must be issued by a bona fide, legitimate degree-granting university. If the issuing university provides official documents in English, an additional English translation is not required.

As it may take some time to have all of your records and documents certified and then sent by mail to DigiPen, request official transcripts and records from your current and previous educational institutions as soon as possible.

If you have any questions about your particular academic records, please contact the Office of Admissions.

Financial Responsibility Form

Required for: International applicants

If you are already in the United States on a visa, you may not have to submit financial documentation. Please contact admissions(at)digipen(dot)edu for more information.

Applicants intending to study in the United States must provide evidence of financial support, indicating that sufficient funds are available for the 8-month period of study and living expenses must be submitted to DigiPen and made available to U.S. Immigration Service upon entry into the United States. The Financial Responsibility Form must be submitted by all international students regardless of whether or not the student is presently living in the United States. The bank statement needs to be an original document from the bank and not a self-service printout. It should include the balance, currency (preferably USD), and name of the account holder. All assets must be liquid. If the applicant is not the account holder, whomever is financing him/her will need to write and sign a brief letter confirming that the account holder will support the applicant financially during his/her time here at DigiPen. Please do not include a transaction history.


See also: Financial Aid Budgets for information about estimated cost of attendance at DigiPen. New budgets for the 2019-2020 academic year will not be available until late 2018 or early 2019.

Proof of Proficiency in the English Language

Required for: Applicants who are non-native English speakers

Description: Non-native English speakers must provide proof of English proficiency in one of the following ways:

  • A minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 (paper exam), 213 (computer exam) or 80 (iBT — Internet-based Test). TOEFL code: 4138.
  • A minimum International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 or higher. (www.ielts.org)
  • A minimum Cambridge English: Advanced (also known as a Certificate in Advanced English or CAE) score of C1 or higher.
  • Completion of four years of high school in the United States at an English-speaking school, or an International School where the primary language of instruction is English.
  • Completion of a four-year post-secondary degree in the United States at an English-speaking school, or an International School where the primary language of instruction is English.

TOEFL code: 4138
TOEFL score reporting and exam information: http://www.ets.org/toefl

For students who do not currently meet the required proficiency in the English language levels listed above, please review our Intensive English Preparation course option.

If Accepted

International students intending to study at DigiPen Institute of Technology must obtain an F-1 visa from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). An F-1 student is a non-immigrant who is pursuing a full course of study towards a specific educational or professional objective at a school in the United States. Once that objective has been attained, the F-1 student is expected to return to his or her residence abroad.

International students should note their citizenship on the application form for admission. If accepted, DigiPen will send a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status) as part of the acceptance packet. Applicants who are accepted, but do not receive a Form I-20 in their acceptance packet, should contact the Office of Admissions.

DigiPen recommends that all students view the visa process online at the Study in the States website. Only students who have been accepted to DigiPen will be provided with the Form I-20 necessary to apply for a student visa.

Once the Form I-20 is received, the applicant should take it to the nearest U.S. consulate to obtain a student visa. Please note that the visa process may take several months to complete, so DigiPen recommends that applicants complete the application process early. When at the U.S. consulate, applicants must also have copies of the Financial Responsibility form and supporting documents to prove that they have sufficient financial resources for their education and stay in the United States. For more information on visas, please consult the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services web page at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study.html.

If you are an international student transferring from another U.S. Institution, you will need to fill out a Transfer-In form so that your current I-20 can be transferred to DigiPen.

Permanent Residents do not need a student visa, but must prove their immigration status by submitting a copy of their permanent residency card and marking the appropriate citizenship status on the application for admission. The copy of the permanent residency card confirms that a student is a legal resident and that he/she may pursue studies at DigiPen. Permanent residents are subject to the same rights, services and rates as U.S. citizens.

Incoming international students are required to attend a special portion of  New Student Orientation.

Chat with us on Skype

DigiPen Admissions Representatives will be available to chat on Skype under the username digipen.admissions. Times are listed as Pacific Time.

  • Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
  • Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

To set up a free Skype account of your own, please visit: http://www.skype.com

Note: This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.

Quick Reference

Contact Us:
(425) 629-5001

Page Contents:

Request Information Apply Online