Back to top

Veterans, enlisted military personnel, and dependents of veterans may qualify for financial aid from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Part of DigiPen’s Office of Financial Aid’s mission is to serve the needs of individuals eligible for Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits. Financial Aid Advisors are available to assist veterans, veterans’ dependents, and others eligible for veterans benefits in addressing problems or answering questions regarding benefits, certification, or other matters relating to VA benefits.


Eligibility for the various VA educational benefits programs is determined, in part, by your date of enlistment. In all cases, the Department of Veterans Affairs makes the final determination of eligibility. See the individual program descriptions on the GI Bill® website for full eligibility criteria and application instructions. The GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offed by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Applying for Veterans Benefits

To apply for Veterans Benefits, contact VA Education Call Center at 888-442-4551 or apply for benefits online at or The VA will determine if you are eligible for benefits, and for certain VA chapters they will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility.

If you need additional assistance, please call the VA toll-free at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or visit

You may also contact the Department of Veterans Affairs:

  • Education information: (888) 442-4551
  • Other VA information: (800) 827-1000
  • VA monthly certification: (827) 823-2378
  • Website:

Veterans Programs at DigiPen

The following VA educational assistance benefits are available at DigiPen:

  • The Yellow Ribbon Program
  • Montgomery GI Bill for Active Duty and Veterans (Chapter 30)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32)
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Montgomery GI Bill for National Guard & Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606)

For more information about any of these programs or to apply, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 425-629-5002 or by email at veteranbenefits[at]us.digipen[dot]edu, or click here to visit the GI Bill® website.

Certifying Veterans Benefits at DigiPen

The Office of Financial Aid is responsible for certifying veteran enrollment to the regional Veteran Affairs office each semester. Therefore, you must complete your registration on time and email veteransbenefits[at]us.digipen[dot]edu that registration is complete.

To be certified, the Office of Financial Aid will need to receive the following documents:

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Chapter 33: Certificate of Eligibility and DD 214-Member 4
  • Vocational Rehabilitation - Chapter 31: DD 214-Member 4, copy of VA 28-1905 form
  • Survivors and Dependents (DEA) - Chapter 35: Certificate of Eligibility
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Chapter 30: Certificate of Eligibility, DD 214-Member (unless still active duty)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Chapter 1606: Certificate of Eligibility and Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) - Chapter 32: Certificate of Eligiblity and DD-214

After all documents are received and you have registered for courses, the Office of Financial Aid will certify you for your VA Benefits. If any changes are made to your course schedule, such as adding or dropping courses, please notify the Office of Financial Aid at veteransbenefits[at]us.digipen[dot]edu, so any changes can be reported to the VA Office.

Please note that you can use your VA Benefits for summer courses. However, you will not be certified for benefits unless you notify the Office of Financial Aid that you want to use benefits for summer.

When do payments arrive?

Chapters 30, 35, 1606: Payments are paid in the arrears.

Example: A student will receive payment for the month of September at the beginning of October.

Post 9/11 GI Bill®: Payments are as follows:

  • Tuition/Fee & Yellow Ribbon are paid directly to the school
  • Book & Supplies are paid to the students at the beginning of the semester
  • Housing payments are paid directly to the student toward the end of each month. Must be full-time to receive housing payments.

For further questions about the payment process and if direct deposit is available, please contact the VA Office.

Take the Next Step

Get started with our in-depth information packet!

Sign up to receive our degree program viewbook and other resources to help you determine if a DigiPen education is right for you.

Request Information

Start Your Application

Ready to take your education further? Head to our secure application portal and submit an application for admission.

Apply Online